The Ferguson Fawsitt was granted its original license in 1866 when two local families came together in marriage – John Daniel Ferguson, the brother of the Walkington rector married wealthy heiress Miss. Eliza Fawsitt.
The fusion of the families through marriage was also celebrated and authorised by royal warrant in the creation of the Ferguson – Fawsitt family crest.
Until 1950 the Fergie was Walkington’s blacksmith’s shop and had the name ‘The Bay Horse’. Eliza’s was the area the blacksmiths used to repair carriage wheels and shoe the horses.